Thursday, August 18, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

Ok, so my son started kindergarten last week and while looking over his school calendar I am dumbfounded by the amount of days off of school kids these days get. I am not here today to boast about how hard I had it as a kid, you know all the stories....When I was a kid I had to walk to school, up hill both ways in two feet of snow. But, I must say, I did have to be at school way more than kids today. 

So next week my son has two days off after being in school for all of eight days. This creates a huge burden for families like our that have two working parents. We have enrolled Ethan in the after school program at his school and they have child care on most days when school is out, BUT you have to pay A LOT of money to send your kid there all day. I know he will have a blast and he is looking forward to being there but I am having heart palpitations thinking about the cost. 

The other beef I am having with the school right now also has to do with money. The first week of school Ethan was sent home with three requests for money. They are all legitimate requests but it seems they are all needed within a week. Maybe next year on the school supply list they should put, be sure to take out a loan to pay for all the stuff you will be asked for the first week of school and the childcare for all the days your child will NOT be in school!!!

1 comment:

  1. My son isn't in school yet, but I cringe every time I hear about all the school requests. This year, I became more interested in how mother's prepare for the school list, etc. Do you follow SpringsBargains or the DenverBargains sites? Just the strategy on how to get inexpensive supplies helped me. Of course, it's still insane all the stuff kids are expected to contribute to make sure the school functions - copy paper?

    ReplyDelete