Wednesday, August 10, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten

Looking nervous on first day
Today was a HUGE day in our household. It was Ethan's first day of Kindergarten. Last year he went to Preschool and I did really well sending him there. However, this morning was hard for me. I think the difference for me was at his Preschool it was only preschool kids. There did not seem to be much of a threat from 3-5 year-old kids. But this year is different, he is in Elementary School. His school is K-6th and I think that made me realize he is really in a big kid school! 

He was so ready to start school. We have spent several weeks shopping for the perfect backpack, lunchbox and all the required school supplies. Yesterday we went to his school for an orientation with his teacher and walked around to see where some of the things in the school are located.  Last night he had a hard time going to sleep because he was just so excited to begin school.

This morning he woke up with the first bit of light that came into his room. Usually I have to remind him to go use the potty, but this morning he went right there and also decided he wanted to also brush his teeth while in there. I got up just in time to tell him that he needed to eat breakfast before he brushed his teeth. Once we got to the school, we took the pictures that all parents take on first day of school and went down to line up for his class. Once his teacher came out to get his class, he began to walk away, with out hugging or kissing us. We had to call to him and ask for hugs and kisses and he obliged. He could not understand why I had tears in my eyes. There he went, off to "big kid" school. I cried all the way back to the car, my hubby kept snickering at me while I was crying.  This has been such a big milestone in our family and now we are just praying we all get acclimated to the new schedule quickly, for all of our sanity! 

Full Outfit in front of Kindergarten Playground

The backpack - it took so long to find this!

No comments:

Post a Comment