Monday, January 16, 2012

Remembering....Martin Luther King, Jr.

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today I would like to take a moment and remember a wonderful man that changed the face of our nation forever. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a man that was not afraid to speak his mind and stand up for what is right in the world. These are two qualities my husband and I are trying to instill in our own son. Dr. King had so much faith that one day all the hate in our country would subside. I try my best to have that much faith. I live every day knowing that I am doing my best to make this world a better place. Everyday I have to take steps without knowing where the staircase is leading me, but I have faith that I live my life in such a way that I am being lead in the right direction.
It hurts my heart to think that there are still people in this great nation that are being oppressed. There are still schools that won't let mixed-race couples go to their prom together. There are still people who judge others by the color of their skin. The majority of our nation is still also trying to tell people who they can and can't marry. As most of you can tell by my posts, I am very liberal and I believe in every word that Dr. King spoke. I am so sad that this wonderful man was taken off this earth before I ever had the chance to hear him preach in person. I can listen to any speech he gave and be inspired and moved, however I know that inspiration would have been taken to a whole other level in person. 
Today I am remembering a man that had a dream that our nation would open it's eyes and see that every person here has something to contribute, every person has a voice that deserves to be heard, every person has the same rights no matter their skin color, economic level, sexual preference or political views. We are ALL Americans and we ALL need to remember how we want to be treated and treat everyone the same way!

No comments:

Post a Comment